Saturday, January 10, 2009

Breast Cancer 3 Day



As you all know, a few months ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer - and I have been struggling with the whys and what do I do with all this. There must be a reason God allowed this happen - am I suppose to learn something? 
DO something? WHAT??

I remember doing a breast cancer walk with the girl scouts many years ago and thought I should do that - since I have boys, I was thinking I would fly to AZ and do this walk with my niece's girl scout troop - so I was looking on line to see when the next one was and instead, came across the huge 3 day walk.
How is it even possible that I have never heard of this? 
So many women all over the US raising money and trying to get the word out to find a cure - and I miss it!



So now I'm even more compelled to help get the word out. 
Before I was diagnosed myself, I was so naive to breast cancer and its effects. 
I always thought - yeah that sucks - but its not like anyone dies of breast cancer! SO WRONG! It could have been me this time if I hadn't insisted the dr's do a biopsy when they wanted to try stronger antibiotics. More and more people I know personally or thru a friend ARE being diagnosed with breast cancer. The numbers are astonishing!

"In 2008 alone, it's estimated that nearly 200,000 American women and nearly 2,000 men were diagnosed with breast cancer. Unless we find a cure, within 25 years more that 5 million Americans will develop the disease and over 1 million could die."

So more than ever, I am up for this challenge! 
The 3 day walk covers 60 miles in 3 days time. You are required to raise a minimum of $2,300 to register other than that, I'm not really sure of the details yet - but I am convinced that I HAVE to do this. For me and for other women - TO FIND A CURE!

My sister Valerie is joining me in this challenge. 
We will be walking in AZ on November 13-15th

If you would like to join our team, make a donation, help us train, or be a part of this in anyway, we would love to have you along on this journey!

www.The3Day.org

2 comments:

Harris Fam said...

I am going to find a way to help you on this. I might even fly there and join you! But at the least I will sponsor you, just send me more info on how to do that. You rock! -Tiera

Mandy Enter said...

This is great! I will definitely be getting the word out on this for you and will help you out however I can!